Rosemary for consumption ?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lesliebeau
KG Regular

I bought recently some rosemary plants (rosmarinus officinalis) from a local garden centre. Some time after planting out I noticed that the packaging had a 'knife and fork' symbol with a cross through it, and the words "Not for Consumption". I tried to contact the supplier (http://www.freshfromnature.eu) but there's nothing on their website and no contact details. I therefore asked the garden centre who also tried to get through to their supplier, but they got no response. My local garden centre did say that rosmarinus offocinalis is generally accepted as being edible and OK for use in cooking, and safe to eat. However, this does seem strange and I wonder if anyone else had come across this, and if it is agreed generally that, notwithstanding the packaging (which seems to be erroneous), it is for consumption and OK to eat. The plants, by the way, seem to be thriving well. Many thanks, Leslie
Geoff
KG Regular

I can't see it being anything but the edible herb, if it smells and looks right go ahead and use it.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Seems very strange to me too, I was just wondering if they are sprayed with an insecticide before being distributed, so put this on the packaging to stop people using them like a windowsill herb……
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

That's unusual, as a bloke I never read labels on anything, maybe I should lol.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic