Autumn raspberries

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mikew
KG Regular

My raspberry plants are well established and are getting a bit out of hand. I cut them back to ground level in the winter but should I thin them out when they re-emerge in the spring ?
Westi
KG Regular

I don't know whether you technically should or not but when I cut mine back in Feb or near there I do try to thin them by digging one or two roots out at the same time if they are particularly close.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Mike, autumn fruiting raspberries are very invasive but also resiliant. When I cut them down in winter I just dig the unwanted plants out.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

A little trick with Autumn fruiting Rasps is to not cut all the canes to the ground, I leave a few that are only cut down by half, I then get an earlier crop of the same tasty fruits, I have some close to harvesting now, last year they lasted well through September and into October.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Picked my first autumn fruiting rasps today, only half a dozen, but the above mentioned pruning method worked.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic