shade plants for a rockery under a holly tree

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

daxtell71
KG Regular

Hi everyone

I have had a Rockery built by some friends but it needs shade plants any ideas as I have none.

Thanks, Deb
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Daxtell71,
The word rockery and shade do not usually come in the same sentence but if you could give us more information I am sure somebody will be able to help you.
JB.
Lyn
KG Regular

Hi Daxtell71,
I have ended up with a small, dry shady rockery in one corner of the garden (it has become shady since next door's trees have grown taller). I have put some heucheras at the back of it and also some cyclamen. Bellis also seem to thrive. Each year it gets over-run with dog violets growing wild, but as their green leaves look quite nice I leave most of them. Maybe violas would like it there, as they are in the same family and are low growing?
Hope this helps a bit.
Primrose
KG Regular

Sounds a bit of a problem area because as Johnboy says, rockeries are normally built for sun loving plants which enjoy the heat and the dry conditions. Cyclamen should work and possibly miniature ferns but generally these like moist conditions.
I have a holly tree and find that cuckoo pint with its variegated green leaves with cream veins seems to grow happily under it.

I also have a clump of rhubarb successfully growing nearby in almost total shade but i,m,sure that is probably not a plant you had in mind? Lilly of the valley grow in a dark dry corner of my garden but they do spread.
Last edited by Primrose on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Well as I see it so far no plants mentioned are alpines. Certainly there are plants that will thrive in a shade condition but I do not know any Alpines.
Johnson (I think)
JB.
Monika
KG Regular

The low growing hepatica and lewisia will tolerate some shade as long as there is enough moisture in the ground. If you are prepared to water them occasionally, especially during spring and early summer, you could try those. They are certainly both very pretty and colourful.
daxtell71
KG Regular

Thanks, every one it's going to be tricky but fun seeing what survives there. I am thankful for what they did when I was ill it has certainly left me with a gardening challenge ;-)
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic