Clay soil , under a Cherry Tree, what to plant?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Connie777
KG Regular

Hi All, Happy New Year! I have a question please about what to plant as a Hedge under a Cherry Tree? I rent the property & can’t remove the Tree but I need to plant a Hedge for privacy & to stop my neighbour walking across my lawn, I had wanted to plant Roses but I don’t think there is enough depth with the Tree roots, so any suggestions please? It is also a South facing Garden , TIA Ruth
F4A44277-D414-4116-B088-7D31EE268CC9.jpeg
F4A44277-D414-4116-B088-7D31EE268CC9.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2394 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And a Happy New Year to you Connie777…..
Regarding your question about the hedging, well the clay soil won’t be a problem for Roses, may just need a little compost added in each hole….they do prefer a soil on the heavy side, rather than a sandy soil!
As long as you aren’t planting right under the tree, you should be able to get a planting hole dug, without having to cut all but the smallest of tree roots….if you want a really vigorous Rose for hedging, Rosa Rugosa would fit the bill, also another vigorous Rose is, Stromboli and has lovely dark red flowers and dark green foliage! But many of the Bush/Floribunda type roses will make a good hedge, so you should find one that will tolerate some shade and have the scent and flower colour that you would like….lots of the big Rose companies have some very good information and of course, you don’t have to buy from them….hope this helps a little. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I would also be telling the neighbour to stop walking across your lawn….blooming cheek.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Connie777
KG Regular

Unfortunately , it is open plan as they are Old age/ Disabled properties so she can but I have made a point of it with the Housing Officer & he said I can have a Hedge but not a fence , which I am happy about because I Garden for Wildlife , but it has to be easy to maintain from my side, I have Osteoarthritis in my back & hips , so thats why I thought Roses might be an easy option ? I luckily have my other half to prune mulch ecetra ( under supervision )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic