Unusual pepper

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

guyos
KG Regular

Hello

Has anyone seen this before?

This is a Bell pepper plant producing two different fruits.
growing in my polytunnel.

Guyos

Bell pepper.jpg
Bell pepper.jpg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm? Was it from a seed or did you buy a grafted plant? Only thing I can think off, unless it regressed to show it's true parentage? Pretty cool though!
Westi
guyos
KG Regular

Hi Westi

it was sown from seed.

guyos
retropants
KG Regular

that's new! Never come across that before. Hope they taste good all the same :)
Primrose
KG Regular

Curious!

I have an over wintered red pepper (long Italian pointed variety) that I cut back heavily last autumn and bought indoors. It currently is bearing a number of fruits of varying wonky shapes. I can only think that every so often the genetics go slightly astray although I'm sure the eventual fruits will all taste the same.
guyos
KG Regular

i will update after I have harvested and see if one is a sweet pepper and the other is a chilie .
Primrose
KG Regular

Well, In previous years when I,ve grown peppers and chillies I've occasionally had some surprise results with possible cross pollination. I've had the odd pepper that has occasionally been "fiery". I only grow Hungarian Wax chillies which are supposed to be a larger more mild variety but every so often have had a really hot one which has nearly taken the roof of my mouth off, so I suspect there is always room for a surprise.

Sometimes of course you can get two seeds which when sown are actually stuck together for some reason and if you don't notice this at sowing time you can get two plants germinating so tightly together they look like, and grow like one plant when potted on. Could that have happened in your case?
guyos
KG Regular

No Primrose
it is definately a single plant as my avatar will show more clearly.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well, nurture it. You may win a prize for the most unusual plant at your local horticultural show! (If you can demonstrate the plant wasn't grafted, and whilst I know fruit trees are grafted to produce more than one variety of apple, plum etc, I've never known it happen with a pepper!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic