Saving Sweet Potato

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Re: Saving Sweet Potato

Postby Westi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:22 pm

I'm off to Amazon then Colin! Shall we do a forum experiment you & giaur500 & anyone else interested enough? I've got the old broken cold frame with the broken sides substituted with old fridge shelves with a top that is just mesh! A packet of seeds is not a huge investment! Could be interesting? Have you both have the space to play with this? My space is not ideal but protection from the wind will be necessary even down here in the tropical end of the UK!
0 x
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Postby Colin2016 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 am

Don't feel good about starting from seed, reviews not good.
Plan for this year is try growing slips from last years potatoes, plus try and find an organic one as well.
Going to plant in low cover over part of a raised bed and in bucket in green house.
Found best result last year was in bucket in a cold frame.
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Soz Colin misread that!

I have one 'special' looking one from last year saved to see if I can replicate the forgotten one in the airing cupboard which I got a fairly good crop from after planting on the sprouts/slips a few times before planting out. But hedged my bets & ordered some as well. The experiment one from last years crop of bought ones, will be outside in the patched up cold frame, the invested in ones are for the tunnel! I could invest in a new cold frame but harden off my plants at home not at the allotment so it would be a waste of money, but just thinking the tunnel guys left me the scraps of the big bubble plastic & it could be handy to further patch up the old one on the allotment. Got more work to do on this as I don't have the lid frame to secure it to so watering would be difficult, but I'm sure I can sort something out.
0 x
Westi

Return to “Ask the team”