Gem Squash Problems

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

campana2019
KG Regular

I have Gem Squash growing fantastically. They are producing tubers and flowering, however once the fruit starts forming the flowers are tending to die which is I think normal, but the fruit goes rotten when it reaches just under a table tennis ball size, and drops off the stems. Any ideas why the could be happening please.
Westi
KG Regular

I have this happen from time to time! Generally I give them a feed around this time - they are greedy guys & need a top up through the growing season to support the mother plant. I manage to get a crop, but if I was more disciplined I would get a bigger crop for sure!
Welcome the forum campana! x
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Are they being pollinated by hand or insects?
campana2019
KG Regular

They are being pollinated by insects
campana2019
KG Regular

Hi Westi thank you for your welcome to the forum.

Geoff gthey are being pollinated by insects.
campana2019
KG Regular

Hi Westi, Geoff has put an idea into my head, where I might need to Tickle the flowers with a feather and this may help with pollination. Meanwhile your suggestion to feed them in the light of experience you have had in the past may also be an added advantage. What type of feed do you suggest please?
Geoff
KG Regular

I did ask because usually when squash family fruits start to form then rot off it is because they haven't been pollinated, always a good idea to do it with a brush or by pulling off a male flower.
campana2019
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
Male & Female flowers? Pardon my ignorance what's the difference? I have in fact grown these elsewhere before and the tubers have born fruit without any problems hence my questions.
Geoff
KG Regular

Females have a small fruit behind the flower.

Squash flowers.jpg
Squash flowers.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
Westi
KG Regular

I just use a handful of 6X chicken manure, not the pellets but the flakey ones which I have soaking in a large trug & then dip the watering can in the trug & just fill the 1/2 cut down bottles I place beside every plant. It is quite hard to find the bottles at this time of the year so it is a walk carefully time. I plant my squash & pumpkins in holes in membrane to keep competitor weeds out of the mix & water the whole thing so the water goes under the membrane for the roots to find & it is a warmer environment which helps.

I have had to use the Geoff's method of peeling back the petals of the male to pollinate the females in cooler summers, but luckily I have had pollinators around this year. You must add where you are from on your profile as then you can focus on the advice of those nearer to where you live, & those outside can moderate there responses to not what they do but what you could do!
Westi
campana2019
KG Regular

Good Morning,
Thank you both Westi & Geoff for your information and advice.
I in fact , after posting my last question went and took a far closer look at the plants and arrived at the 'Obvious' answer.
I'm 84 years old and have just come out of hospital after major emergency operation and found the Gem Squash tubers flowering everywhere and the fruit falling off, so was at a bit of a dilemma.
Thank you both once again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic