Kitchen Garden Podcast

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

IDKWIDG
KG Regular

Kitchen Garden Podcast

Postby IDKWIDG » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:52 am

I was just wondering if anyone has given this a listen and which episodes to try out?

Haven't done podcasts since the Ricky Gervais show (so 13-14 years?) and I am currently downloading iTunes to get both KGs podcast and the RHS podcast.
0 x
Diane
KG Regular

Re: Kitchen Garden Podcast

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 am

I haven't heard them but glad you've reminded me.
0 x
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Postby oldherbaceous » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Quite embarrassing, I don't actually know what a podcast is! :oops:
0 x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
IDKWIDG
KG Regular

Postby IDKWIDG » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 pm

No need to be embarrassed, it's essentially an episodic audio show.

The KG one I have listened to seemed robotic and went over general jobs for the month, but not much more.

Some podcasts are just a few people chewing the fat, whilst others are more educational. The Ricky Gervais show was the first I ever listened to with Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington and eventually was animated and put on screen (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ggk399viY)

RHS and KG both have more educational ones and I haven't listened to the former.
1 x
IDKWIDG
KG Regular

Postby IDKWIDG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:10 pm

I feel bad for saying this here, but the podcast isn't great.

Apart from repeating things already stated in the magazine (including at one point going through the Q&A of a magazine and talking about a picture) the podcast has nothing to offer, despite being advertised within the magazine as 3 people sat down together and talking (much like a podcast) someone is just reading off a script which is just bizarre, I imagine those with poor eyesight that like gardening can use this, but even then, it is very weak.

It doesn't feel particularly organic (mind the pun) considering one person is just trying to read from a screen or piece of paper. Compare this to the RHS podcast, where they talk about different subjects, have more than one person talking so you get other view points and generally is better to listen to.

Compare the podcast to one episode I listened to of the RHS podcast which was "How to help winter wildlife, unusual street trees and are glittered plants a crime against nature? (Ep144)", I know it doesn't roll off the tongue, but it's good, not great but good. It's okay to repeat magazine information to some degree, but you can talk about it, you can tell us how the KG staff are doing, what they've been up to, anything!

I don't mean to be critical, but the content really is lacking; with an active forum and letter writing base, you can even bring discussions to life in your podcasts, it would increase the amount of people listening to it and therefore passing it on, you can ask slightly different questions, talk gardening anecdotes, anything really.

Really though, the podcast loses its punch mainly because of the monologue throughout each one. I hope you continue to do the podcast and that it grows (har har) in the future, but as it is now, it's not great.
1 x
Colin2016
KG Regular

Postby Colin2016 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am

"I was just wondering if anyone has given this a listen and which episodes to try out?" No
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm

I did actually for a bit, but kind of have to agree with IDKWIDG. It was a bit boring & dull & more a tutorial really. No personality, passion or humour! Sorry KG but you guys look like you have a lot of banter between you & challenge each other in the mag but it doesn't come across in the podcast.
1 x
Westi

Return to “Ask the team”