Beginners Cold frame sowing September

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

time4tea
KG Regular

Hi,

We have had bumper crops during lockdown from our garden, but we had a spare piece of safety crittal glass (had to replace a long window in a porch to allow our cat in and out with a cat flap). I suggested hubby reuse the window for a cold frame. He has just built a lovely cold frame :D

We want to know what seeds should we sow now for use (obviously lettuce and radish), but any other ideas?

Thanks,

Wendy
Monika
KG Regular

Presumably, the frame is not tall enough to accommodate broad beans? What about spinach or spring onions? Lack of light will probably be a bigger problem than warmth.
time4tea
KG Regular

Thanks Monica,

Yes, I thought of spinach, but not Spring Onions. We will give them a go. It isn't tall enough for Broad Beans (I'm not a fan, but like all the other beans), but it is okay.

Slowly learning about intercropping etc to maximise veggie growth. Also need to get Hubby to sow things at intervals, so we don't end up with all the cabbages be ready at once (and no more for weeks). He often rushes ahead and sows vast amounts at once, before I have a chance. He has realised staggering planting is better. Luckily for us, we have swapped produce with our neighbour who has a smaller garden and also converted hers to a partly raised beds.

It's a learning curve, but the joy of fresh tasty carrots and runner beans, plus freezing excesses or giving it away means we are hooked. I have insisted my small front garden is for flowers!

:)
Monika
KG Regular

If you are going to sow spring onions, make it 'White Lisbon Winterhardy'. They should be ok.
Westi
KG Regular

Maybe some Pak Choy & Chinese cabbage, they prefer it cooler & don't bolt during winter but do attract slimy things. Do some cut & come salad mixes as well as just lettuce. Radicchio or Endive as well if room. Aside the cold frame don't forget your garlic & onion sets in the other beds.

You will have to forgive your hubby with the cabbage though - I put in quite large plants & sow direct & only ever get about a 2/3 week window between them when they take off. Welcome to the forum btw Wendy!
Westi
time4tea
KG Regular

Thanks for this everyone.

We have some White Lisbon Winter Hardy that we got given this year. Chinese cabbage, we grew some in summer, but only a couple and managed to stop them from bolting. Found out that the winds we had blew part of our netting up around our Romanseco and some critter has nobble around most of the heads.

Got some Neam oil (organic), I knew about it and diluted it properly. We sprayed and a stray Cabbage white immediately flew out along with a moth. Been fine, so weighted fine mesh down with some bricks. Amazing where they hide, as we do a pest check and the beds were fine. Have also used onion skins and chopped ends from Chutney making to make an onion brew in water to spray in a few days. Garden smells of onions now. :)
time4tea
KG Regular

Forgot to add, I've got garlic, and shallots coming end of the month and in January have Stuttgart onion sets coming with heritage blue potatoes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic