Seedlings help

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

daxtell71
KG Regular

How do I tell when they are ready to transplant from the seed tray? I have had several failures and am a little worried I am doing something very wrong.

Thanks
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

Usually when a few true leaves you pot on as seed trays are too shallow for the roots. You might have to pot again a few times getting bigger pots if weather doesn't play! Maybe leaving them a bit to long in the seed trays?
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

The easy way for the future is to use modular trays. If you three quarter fill them with potting compost and top up with seed compost you can thin to one plant per module then let them grow quite big before you have to handle them. What were you growing by the way?
daxtell71
KG Regular

I am growing Marigolds, Aquilega and Radish not in that order :-)

sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Daxtell,
Marigolds (either Tagetes or Calendula) are best done once the seed leaves are big enough to handle. Leave them longer and the roots can become too entwined and they risk having their roots damaged by the transplantation process. That said the Calendula kind are really best sown outdoors where they are to flower if at all possible.

Aquilegias are quite frail as babies and are best left until at least the second or third true leaf has appeared. The roots are stronger than the leaves on these seedlings.

Radish (winter or summer types) are best sown in the ground where they are to spend the rest of their lives until harvest. They do not transplant well as they have a main root called a taproot. It is from this root that the radish swells from; so any interference or damage to this root will cause misshapen radishes. If you have to start off radishes in pots for what ever reason then I suggest sowing five or six seeds to a very small pot and then putting the whole rootball out as one into the ground without splitting them up. With about 8-9 inches between the potfuls in the row.

Regards Sally Wright.
daxtell71
KG Regular

Many thanks I will follow your advice its very helpful :-)

Best Wishes

Debs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic