Peas and peashoots

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

bradleyfamily53
KG Regular

Hi Everyone, I've grown some peas for the first time. Are peashoots the young growth on the plant? Can I cut them for salads? I'm unsure if only certain varieties are cut for use as shoots? Thanks Dawn
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Bradley,
all the garden peas can be used as pea shoots (except sweet peas - they are toxic!). Commercially they are usually grown to between 4 and 6 inches high (10-15cms) and then cut off and eaten. I find that the wrinkled seeded peas are best for this purpose as the round seeded ones are a bit tougher and more strongly flavoured (these may be better used for cooking rather than being eaten raw).
The kind I use is a variety called serge (just seeds). I get a seed tray and fill it full of normal bagged compost (not seed and cutting compost) and then put in about 40-60 seeds at about 1cm deep. Not all will germinate so it depends on the age of the seeds as to whether I put in 40 or 60. I would not use garden compost or soil for this kind of growing as there is a risk of contamination as the sprouts are so delicate they do not stand washing very well. For the same reason I would use tap water for irrigation purposes rather than rain water from a tank or butt. Do not grow where pigeons, rats or mice can access them. I would generally reckon about 4-6 weeks between sowing and consumption.

If you have standard sized peas in the garden you can pinch out the tips to use for eating but if you do then there will be no peas....

I usually grow peas this way starting in February as they are a good thing to do as a windowsill garden. Especially as you are desperate for something fresh and green at that time. They are really good with the Easter foods such as duck or lamb and anywhere you might use spinach or chard in cooking. During the summer they can get stringy quite quickly if not well attended to.

When you have cut all the peas do not waste the compost in the tray; it will do very nicely in the bottom of a large pot for a cucumber or tomato etc.

If the pea seeds (or indeed ANY seeds that you are planning on using for micro greens) have been treated with a coating of pesticide DO NOT USE THEM FOR THIS PURPOSE. It is easy to tell if they have been as they will be covered in a coloured coating. Usually pink or blue but I have seen yellow and green as well. The reason for not using such pea seeds is that the pesticide will not have had time to become inert before consumption.

Hope this clears up any confusion for you.
Regards Sally Wright
bradleyfamily53
KG Regular

Thanks Sally x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic