monterey cypress seed propagation

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Julesuk
KG Regular

I have a monterey cypress tree and I am trying to propagate this as it is the only one
left in the garden and has enormous sentimental value.
It is coming with me when i have to leave this house in a year or so !!!

I am trying to do it by seed and collect the cones every month (since last november) and have been waiting for them to
open and then putting them in the fridge for a month and then putting them in seed compost (John ines no 1),
(scattered on the surface and lightly covered again with compost.
Then left in a brightish windowsill - no sun.
I have tried in a small heated propagater and one with no heat but not yet simply in the open air.
For 6 months now i simply cannot get any to germinate ?

Help ...... This is becoming urgent as i cant seem to work with seeds ?
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Jules,
look up www.treeseedonline.com They have a detailed method of germination to follow. The two things I think you have missed out on are the 24 hour soak before putting the seeds in the fridge and the maintenance of high humidity after sowing (I recommend putting the pot in a plastic bag). Hope this helps.
Regards Sally Wright.
Julesuk
KG Regular

Cheers Sally !

both of those things i have not done ! Will try with this months batch ...

p.s
- I am putting in the fridge for 1 -2 months only. (just for info)
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Julesuk
KG Regular

@ Sally

I looked at that site and found a Monterey cypress - latin name - Cupressus macrocarpa
hence it needing 24 hr soak , in hot water and a 6 week pre chill. I THINK !!!!
q) Is that right you reckon as per tree spreadhseet ? I cant quite relate to the colour codes ?

I dont suppose you know what a 6 week pre chill is do you as opposed to stratification ?
surely its the same ?
Attachments
Mont Cypress seed germination.jpg
Mont Cypress seed germination.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Julesuk
KG Regular

Additional question:

I assume seeds as said should be put in high humidity but do they need a bright light area with no direct sun ?
a sunny windowsill ?
or does it not matter ?
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Jules,
the water does not need to be hot! Please read the instructions again. After you take the seeds out of the water dry their exterior with a bit of paper towel and then put them into the plastic bag. Most tree seeds germinate on the forest floor so full sun is probably not necessary.

Pre-chilling is the treatment of seeds to promote rapid germination at a time to suit us (humans). It involves putting seeds in a colder place to trick them into thinking conditions are right for germination when they are taken out and sown. It usually involves a period of time ranging from 24 hours to several months. The temperature used is also variable depending on the kinds of seeds involved. This process usually involves a refrigerator or freezer to get the temperature right and it is a single treatment.

Stratification is a slightly more complicated process involving several periods of cooling/freezing with warmer intervals. It is designed to mimic winter. For most seeds that require stratification the process is fairly simple. The seeds are sown outdoors in Autumn soon after harvesting; in the ground or in trays/pots, some kind of pest guard is installed to keep out rodents and birds then they are left to do their own thing. It can be done using a fridge but in practice this is rare and is usually reserved for more expensive or unusual varieties.

My copy of 'Hardy Woody Plants from Seed' by Phillip McMillan-Browse is at work so this is the best explanation I can give you at present. It is an old book but copies are still available; I find it most useful. For more detailed information on conifers then I would recommend 'Conifers in the British Isles' by Alan Mitchell.

Regards Sally Wright.
Julesuk
KG Regular

Sally, Many thanks ......
I could not make any exact sequence from the spreadsheet ... but will not use hot water.

I have started the process and will update my thread for buffoons like me which may assist.
I am more used to vintage motorcycle forums .... so forgive me on the gardening where I am a eager amateur.

Q) My seeds having been in the water overnight (its now morning) and are as per pic - some floating some sunk to bottom
Is there any difference between these ? i.e are the ones that float the only "good" ones ?
Anyone got any thoughts on that ?
Attachments
monterey cypress seeds in water.jpg
monterey cypress seeds in water.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Jules,
sadly the ones that float are usually hollow and un-fertilised. Sorry.
Regards Sally Wright.
Julesuk
KG Regular

Sally - Be sure to not go on holiday at this critical moment in my Cypress seeds lives !!!

Understood on the seeds and will use them all but pay special attention to the ones that sunk. (My own test)

For info I am gonna try the 6 week pre chill in the fridge AND another method of using ice cubes to speed things up if it works.
Ice cube method detail to follow but basically you put the seeds after soaking in an ice cube for 3 days then
take out cube with seeds encased and put in potting compost and do as said put on light windowsill but not in full sun
in a plastic bag ...... Ill post pics this eve

I do thank you for your help !!!
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic