Mange tout, Rodney, mange tout

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

I've down some mange tout in modules that are destined to be an early crop in the greenhouse. I know that I should pinch out the growing tips of sweet peas, but should I do the same with proper peas?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Vivienz,
you can pinch out if you want to; but I would only do that if I planned on eating the pea tips as it will delay your main harvest by about 2 weeks at least.
Regards Sally Wright
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks, Sally. I shall leave them as nature intended.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Vivienz,
I should have mentioned that this pinching out delaying tactic may be of use - here's how. It may be more convenient to sow all of your peas at once, but you don't want all of them to be ready at the same time, so pinching half at planting time will extend the cropping period whilst still allowing the efficiency of sowing and planting all at one once. AND you get a salad as well!
Regards Sally Wright.
vivienz
KG Regular

sally wright wrote:Dear Vivienz,
I should have mentioned that this pinching out delaying tactic may be of use - here's how. It may be more convenient to sow all of your peas at once, but you don't want all of them to be ready at the same time, so pinching half at planting time will extend the cropping period whilst still allowing the efficiency of sowing and planting all at one once. AND you get a salad as well!
Regards Sally Wright.

Genius! Thanks, Sally, that hadn't occurred to me. I was planning on going staggered showings but things can get hectic this month so this would simplify.things. And give me salad pickings too, as you say. Thanks!
Chantal
KG Regular

You remind me of some long ago neighbours. The lady of the house and her son were Chinese and he was learning English. He came home from school and told his parents he had eaten "man get out" peas at lunch.

I never think them as anything else :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic