slugs in compost

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

daviecyldebank
KG Regular

I am new to composting only been doing it a couple of months i have one of the plastic bins but every time i put stuff in it i seem to be finding a lot of slugs mainly inside the lid of the bin is this something to worry about ?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Nothing to worry about if you are a shareholder in the Saxa salt company.

I do try to kill them off in my bins just to stop them moving onto the stuff I am trying to grow, but another lot move in pretty quickly.

At least they help break down the compost (allegedly) but when you distribute the compost back around your plots you also distribute the underground slugs.

Catch 22 (or maybe more if you go out at night with a torch :D )

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Get loads of slugs in my plastic bin at home, less at lottie with my pallet bins. Take them off & dispose of them as best you can! That compost will have slug eggs in them - try to heat it if you can before you put it on your beds!

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Not an issue I've ever noticed. Although, my whole garden has a slug problem this year, so its likely that I've just not looked at the right time. Personally, I've been putting the compost through a rotary sift with a very fine (~1mm, but dont quote me, I'm measuring by eye) mesh... So I hope that would crush the eggs out of existence... and gives the compost a beautiful crumb...
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Dan
That mesh size sounds more like a flour or caster sugar sifter.

A normal garden sieve would probably let eggs and small black slugs through it so I suspect many of us are perpetuating the problem of slugs on the plot itself

I loved sieved soil and try to sift the soil at least where root crops are going to go, but its getting to be very arduous work

I first fancied one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scheppach-RS40 ... B0016N0K7S
when they were £399, gone up a bit since. Anyway I have no electricity supply, nearest lamp post is too far away :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
daviecyldebank
KG Regular

thank you for the advice everyone
Westi
KG Regular

I'm going for the heat treatment for when I sort the compost. Traded my insulated plastic sheet fencing with my neighbour for his steel sheets so have the basic equipment & a huge pile of material to burn without even doing the winter prunings! I'll still have to sieve it of course but determined not to transfer the weed seeds & other nasties! Got to work out a method of raising it over the fire, but I'm sure just the ashes will have enough heat to just put it direct on top.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi. Just check the compost very carefully first for any small hibernating toads or frogs. You don't want to be contributing to the nation's disappearing toad problem!
dan3008
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Hi Dan
That mesh size sounds more like a flour or caster sugar sifter.

A normal garden sieve would probably let eggs and small black slugs through it so I suspect many of us are perpetuating the problem of slugs on the plot itself

I loved sieved soil and try to sift the soil at least where root crops are going to go, but its getting to be very arduous work

I first fancied one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scheppach-RS40 ... B0016N0K7S
when they were £399, gone up a bit since. Anyway I have no electricity supply, nearest lamp post is too far away :D

your right there pa, I found the user manual today while tidying the shed... its a ~3mm mesh(1/8 inch to be exact) and it has a bigger 5mm one(3/16 inch)... so yeh, I'm rubbish at guestimating lengths.

I wish I had the money for one of them lol... My one is an old hand me down from my grandad and is hand powered. Still, gets the job done nice
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote: My one is an old hand me down from my grandad and is hand powered. Still, gets the job done nice

As long as job gets done that's all that counts. well done

It was 4 years ago when I really needed a powered sieve, having just taken my current plots on I was sieving soil and removing barrow loads of stones,
example, there were 15 barrow loads which had accumulated at the front of the plot alone.

As the subject is slugs in compost, guess what I had, yet another load of, delivered yesterday..........................minus the slugs

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've got a rotary sieve that used to be dad's, but I rarely use it as there are so many worms in the soil and compost. You always miss some if you try removing them before sieving and I'm not into mincing wildlife. Might make an exception for slugs but it still seems cruel.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

Every critter except a rat will be protected! x

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Whilst sieving we try and retain worms without harm.

So we collect them up and take them back to their roots by placing them safely where they serve out a life sentence ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ :D Wormwood Shrubs

Westi
KG Regular

Funny Pa!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Wormwood shrubs is a bit far for our worms to walk but they do have strangeways
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic