celeriac plants

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

ashb
KG Regular

I have been offered some celeriac plug plants query is
can i grow them in planterbags and are they easy to
tend to, i know its my first year at growing my own
but hey ho they are free. :D
ash.
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Got nowt to lose. :D Go for it, celeriac is great in winter stews. but they can be woody if left to grow too large.

Cheers, Tony.
ashb
KG Regular

cheers tony, think i will :D like they say
you dont get owt for nowt these days.
ash.
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
Monika
KG Regular

Just be aware, ashby, that celeriac is very greedy and thirsty, so the plants will need a lot of watering and certainly additional feeding rather than just relying on the growbag nutrients.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Ashb,
treat them like tomatoes feeding and watering wise to get the best out of them.
Regards Sally Wright.
glallotments
KG Regular

We're trying to grow celeriac and celery again this year after lots of unsuccessful attempts so although I'd have a go too it isn't an easy crop.
williamraed
KG Regular

Celeriac is a relative of celery but the difference being you grow Celeriac for its origins rather than the greens. Grow it up in exactly the same way and you will have fantastic results as they are not as fussy as celery vegetation. Celeriac is hardier and more disease resistant than celery, but with a similar flavour and aroma. The root contains only 14 calories per 100g, so is excellent if you are on a diet.
grow light is essential for indoor growing
Primrose
KG Regular

I've tried to grow decent sized celeriac for several years and despite manuring the soil find I can only grow it to the size of tennis balls. Our soil is very light though and I suspect it may do better on heavier soils. I suspect the problem with growing it in grow bags is that the nutrients would be used up too quickly and the compost a little too light but it's always worth giving it a go.
glallotments
KG Regular

We garden on heavy clay soil and our celeriac had hardly any roots.

We sowed seeds early and obviously last year the plants were well watered which were the main things we found out about growing celeriac successfully.

I visit lots of blogs and know that we're not the only ones to have difficulty growing both celeriac and celery. It certainly doesn't seem to be the easy plant that it is said to be!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic