Cucumbers

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Myrkk
KG Regular

I have 4 cucumber plants (which I thought I had killed after they wilted badly when I repotted them) all now have around 5 - 7 baby cucumbers on them. They are still in 5inch pots and I'm going to repot them soon into larger pots. Can anyone advise me what size pots they shoulld be in or should I put them into a grow bag? I'm hoping to put them outside soon (south facing wall).
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I tend to pot 1 cucumber per half a 60ltre growbag and when I say half I mean that I literally cut a grow bag in half and upend it (once I've picked it up around the middle and then jiggled it around to let the compost naturally fall to either side of my arm thereby allowing the bag to form a convenient crease along which to cut :D ).

Next I bounce each half on the path/concrete to settled the contents into a nice base and then place it into a pot/tub big enough to hold the upended bag and support the plants with canes (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :oops:).

The first year I grew cucumbers I potted 3 in to one bag with the bag flat but there was just too many and despite cutting back foliage on an almost daily basis, we lost the lot to fungus due, we believe, to high humidity and lack of ventilation :cry: .

The next year I planted 2 into a flat growbag and they did well but I found, towards the end, that the plant was too heavy again despite regular pruning and started to pull the canes over despite being tied up with industrial strength wire :roll:

It was watching that Carol woman of Gradeners World that gave me the notion to upend, offering more stability and I now do that for my toms AND my cucumbers and it works really well, inside or out.

HTH and makes sence :)

VPM
x
Myrkk
KG Regular

That's fab advice, thanks very much. Our garden centre has a special offer on on grow bags at the mo. will have to get some
glallotments
KG Regular

We grow Burpless tasty Green - I know a common variety - outdoors in the ground and it usually does fairly well
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

A useful bit of advice, which I shared this morning, my fav outdoor cue is the italian marketer, it did really well last year.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic