Russian giant sweet peppers

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Trent
KG Regular

Has anyone any experience of growing Russian giant F1 sweet peppers?
I bought seed from ebay, and although late planting, are doing OK
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Trent, sorry you haven't had a reply, but this must be for no other reason than, no one has tried them before.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've not grown this variety, but have planted World Beater and another sweet pepper out in the greenhouse border this week, and they look quite happy. They are in the cold greenhouse, and I covered them with fleece a couple of nights just to be on the safe side. I hope yours are successful.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I had some huge bull peppers in my organic veggiebox earlier this year, used the seeds to grow some peppers and they are doing well so far, lol no idea which variety but they were large thick walled tender and sweet, Time will tell. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Trent

I can find no references to Russian Giant, so it's unsurprising anyone else has grown them. How late did you sow? My peppers were all sown in the propagator at the very beginning of March and they are still small - 3 to 5 inches depending on the variety - and they are all small, early peppers which will be grown in the polytunnel and will probably crop late August. Are you intending to grown in containers or in the ground, inside or out. Both these factors will also have a big effect on progress.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
williamraed
KG Regular

I haven't any experience of growing russian giant F1 sweet peppers before, but I have heard about how to grow it. If you want to know that how to grow, then you should go to gardeningabout site here they will provide a free instruction about how to grow russian giant F1 sweet peppers?
grow light is essential for indoor growing
Trent
KG Regular

Hi all,
I bought my seed from eBay - Russian seed packet so I can't tell you the variety except they are supposed to grow to 500gm. I sowed them indoors about mid/late April. They are about 4" high, looking good. I will grow them in individual pots in an unheated greenhouse. Do they (peppers in general) grow better in JI #3 than basic potting compost?
Primrose
KG Regular

Have only grown the Californian peppers and the long Italian pointed ones but would imagine they all like similar growing conditions in big noots and possibly a mixture of soil and peat based compost for moisture retention. For that height they will probably need to be grown in 12 inch pots to thrive and may need staking when fruits start to form if they're not to be blown over by the wind unless they're grown In a greenhouse. I mix sone chicken manure pellets and some water retention crystals in the pots of my peppers to keep them well fed and prevent the compost from drying out which they don't like.
If you're growing them in pots outside try to place them up against the south facing wall of your house if you have one where they will reap the benefit of its extra heat retention. They're really warm/Mediterranean plants and will perform better in warm conditions.
Good luck, Don't forget to report back on progress.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic