What is wrong with my cucumber plant?

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

3ishika
KG Regular

Hey everyone,
One of my office colleagues gave me some vegetable seeds, all are growing pretty good. Among all, only my cucumber plant is not reaping good cucumbers i.e The cucumbers grown are having tiny black spots everywhere. I Am unable to figure out the issue with it.
So, what is the issue with my plant and there are blavk spots on it?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi 3ishka!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question as I have never experienced it, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum. There will be someone responding soon who is sure to know the possibilities.

I only have one cucumber just really starting to take off from about my 4th sow. All the others grew a bit then failed & when inspected something had eaten through the stem but under the ground so can't blame any mice.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Sorry I can,t help either as luckily my cucumbers have always performed well, grown in an open air border. Can you give us some details abiut exactly where you,r rowing them, ie in a greenhouse., outdoors? In large pots?

It sounds as if it mit be some kind of infection . Have you been spraying the leaves with any kind of fungicide to kill off creatures like aphids? The fruit may still be edible. Try peeling off the skin and check if the black spots have permeated inside to the flesh or are merely on the outer skin.

Have you tried gently washing the skin while h cucumbers are still on the e plants to see if it washes off. Could it possibly be insect poo of some kind?
Geoff
KG Regular

Welcome - any chance of a photo? Cucumbers are like sheep, more ways of dying than living.
Monika
KG Regular

I have just found the following on a website called home guides ....:

Anthracnose Signs and Infection
When cucumbers are exposed to cold, rainy weather for more than a few days in mid-to late season, there is a chance they will become affected by anthracnose. Signs of infection include salmon-colored spores, tiny black specks, black sunken cankers on fruit, and yellow or water-soaked spots, which eventually enlarge and turn to black and brown spots. In severe cases of the fungus, destroy all plant debris and infected plants. The disease can be seed-borne, so purchasing seeds from a reputable source and rotating crops helps prevent the disease from recurring in following seasons.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Monika that interesting and just goes to show that no matter how long one has been gardening there always new things to learn
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic