Brassicas Roots Eaten

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Checked brassicas growing in netted tunnel thought they had been clown over, inspection showed the roots had been eaten.

There was a hole in the ground where the roots should be.

I know I have moles but thought they did not eat plants just worms.

Would rats attack from underground as no sign of disturbance on top?

Any ideas?
Westi
KG Regular

Rats could be taking advantage of the mole runs, saves them digging & they are pretty clever.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

That's interesting Westi.

Any idea if rats leave a hole without any build up of soil?
Westi
KG Regular

Yep they do Colin. When I had big bites out of the lower toms with distinctive teeth patterns I went into Sherlock mode & traced back to find where they were getting in. The entrance was outside the tunnel, under the membrane on the fence edge & beside a fence post. It was just a hole beside some bigger stones I had put beside the fence with no soil mound. Threw those stones into the tunnel stamped it down & some more similar security measures along the path.

They are back this year & trying to find a new way in, but to date only evidence outside as also buried plastic netting all around the tunnel - triple rolled before burying. Along with peppermint oil as another deterrent. Working to date & my sinuses are well clear but my eyes water a fair bit when I open the tunnel door! :)
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks for the info Westi, will have to do a bit of reteach to find ho they are getting in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic