How do I best this smug cat?

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter, Chief Spud

IDKWIDG
KG Regular

How do I best this smug cat?

Postby IDKWIDG » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Before I continue, I'm just going to say that I love cats, I have some of my own and they are lovely, but this devil hates me.

I've planted some pumpkins which have done well for a first time grower I feel, 2.75kg, 2.9 kg and 2.6kg respectively, but there were still a few to come.

On the allotment, we have four cats, three of them strut around like they own the place, they lounge, sun themselves and generally behave quite well, but one of them must be eating cat food full of E-numbers. I will see him every day I got to allotment bouncing around with so much energy, chasing birds, running through the overgrow grass of allotment plots not being used and climbing trees, I have no problems with that at all, he is a cat, he can do all that.

My problem is the devil keeps using my pumpkins as scratching posts and to make it worse I swear he makes eye contact with me when he does it.

I've tried all manner of ways to keep him away by the recommendation of others, sprinkling pepper, using sound devices, cat/bird scarers, even nets but no such luck; nothing can stop this cat from playing the bongos on my poor, poor pumpkins.

What can I do? Should I just give in? Build a cage around my plants? There must be another option!
1 x
Diane
KG Regular

Re: How do I best this smug cat?

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:37 am

Build a cage - cats are cleverer than we are :( (And I'm a cat lover too).
0 x
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

Postby Monika » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Get a dog - only joking .....
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Water Pistol! Welcome to the site btw!

Get one of those kids rifle type ones that can be used from a distance & give it a squirt but don't let it associate it with you, another tip is holly leaves scattered around which curl up when they dry with the sharp ends up so that distracts them but you can also buy solar powered sonar type things that emit a noise we can't hear but they hate.

The good thing though is your pumpkins are still on the plant they will self heal over those scratch wounds, won't look pretty but will taste just fine!
0 x
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Well, I suppose sprqying the outer skin or the surrounding ground with some rival Tom cat pee is not an option ??
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm

:) :) Primrose! How do you collect that? x
1 x
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

No idea! I don,t suppose the human stuff deposited nearby would substitute?. A couple of wet rags doused with ammonia might be rather offputting though although I imagine the smell would quicklyn dissipate in the open air.
0 x
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Anyone else thinking a bit of lead in its ear :D :D
0 x
Diane
KG Regular

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:56 pm

How about a good sprinkling of Zoo Poo ?
2 x
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'

Return to “Growing Advice for beginners”