The KG Forum

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chris
KG Regular

Hi

I'm still trying to get my head around this fragmented new forum - not sure where to go or where I am when I get there. It really seems a bit too complcated - too many forums to be helpful? I wish we could be consulted.

I suggest that old forum users who enjoyed the free exchange of ideas and experiencs use this section to continue the tradition. I tried to post this idea yesterday - not sure if I failed or if it was deleted.

Chris
Chris
Mr Potato Head

Hi,

I appreciate your comments Chris, and have taken them on board. To this end, I've done a small amount of pruning, and have taken the 'pests and diseases' section out, and replaced it with a single topic under 'planting and seeding'.

The reason that we've decided to upgrade the forum and split it into subsections was that there were over 30,000 posts in the last year, and the old system was groaning a little, under the weight. I hope that it will make it generally easier to find topics that you want to come back to.

I'm hopeful that forthcoming (v. minor) tweaks to the interface should make it easier to navigate.

I feel confident that you'll all get the hang of it pretty quickly, but of course I'm always grateful for your suggestions!:)

Thanks

Leigh :mrgreen:
Geoff
KG Regular

But if we all revolt and only use General Chatter doesn't it become the old format?
paul r

up the revolution! 8) ...paul.
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

I'm replying to the KG forum topic. The idea is that the old forum users can use this sub forum to continue the traditional dialogue. Not sure if this will work as a reply - I don't want to enter a new subject as it is a reply to an old one - maybe I'm just a very slow learner and older than I think? If so advice would be appreciated.
Chris
nog
KG Regular

Not only have a revolution lets put the kulaks to the wall. Look at their hands and if they traces of HTML on them “a injection of lead to the head”
Allanveg

Hi everybody. I made it!. It's good to be online again but very confusing at first, I'm sure things will settle down.
As I hope a useful suggestion, what can be done about listing new postings in addition to the groupings? The old Forum, sorry, I should say website, used to have a group of 3 such postings, while that was never sufficient it was better thsan nothing. Perhaps if there was "Today's Postings" as an extra it would save the tedium of looking at ALL the subjects. Forgive me if it's there already, but I haven't found it yet.
Belinda
KG Regular

There is a quick way to see which sections have new posts since your last visit. On the left of the forum index there are icons showing a piece of paper with a pen, the yellowish colour paper means new posts, the greyish colour paper means no new posts.
If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the forum index and look just above the final burgundy stripe you can see examples of the icons and text showing what they represent.

What would be useful is a set of perhaps three buttons on the index page somewhere. Button 1, all posts since last visit - gives a listing of subjects and sections and includes all new posts and any that have new replies. Button 2, new posts only (not new replies). Button 3, new replies only (though I'm not sure this would get much use)

The best revolutions are quiet, so regulars should just do what is suggested above and ignore the classifications.
If the website don't like it then lets post some out of category things in these damm stupid categories.

How about how to grease a mower under Planting.

On with the subversion.

If people do not listen then they get whats coming to them!
Deb P
KG Regular

I am fast becoming annoyed by these emoticons, and what is all this 'seedling' nonsense by our names? Presumably this is related to the number of posts you ...post, will I progress to sapling, knarled old oak or what!! Of course, I will always be a sapling at heart, but whilst this would fascinate my children, I does nowt for me I'm afraid!
Kentish Ken

I have reservations, too, about splitting the incoming mails into so many letterboxes, so to speak. But let's give the new forum a fair chance before trying to sabotage the new features. And for those who favour using the 'chatter' box as the main forum, remember it would always be open to the administrator, who appears to be taking quite an active approach, to delete the 'chatter' heading.
Mr Potato Head

It's true, I am keeping an active watch on the forums... mainly because I'm a keen veg gardener myself !

However, I have no plans to alter any more of the fora, other than the odd tweak to the layouts, and if you feel comfortable putting all the comments in one place, then I certainly don't plan to stop you. I can certainly see the benefits of both approaches...

Keep up the good work! :D
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Steve

As I have said in previous messages it would be very helpful for old and the new forum users to have a more simple and logical range of forums - including the general issues forum which us old users could relate to easily. The others could be growing, equipment and machinery, cooking and recipes, and forum issues.

I'm not sure that you understand the qualities of the old forum - the chance to raise issues, debate, seek advice, help newcomers and share information. It was the electronic version of the exchanges that happens, and for me happened on the allotment. Please don't lose this.
nog
KG Regular

Deb P wrote: what is all this 'seedling' nonsense by our names? Presumably this is related to the number of posts you ...post, will I progress to sapling, knarled old oak or what!! Of course, I will always be a sapling at heart, but whilst this would fascinate my children, I does nowt for me I'm afraid!

Well I am a cutting now. Was a seedling but the Mrs neeed to come off the pill so a cutting I became.
alan refail
KG Regular

Not quite sorted the new format yet. Where do we put post re chickens and ducks? There have been some very useful discussions in the old forum. :?:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic