A Like button, please?

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hello KG Admin,

Do you have in your development pipeline the addition of a like button for posts and pictures? If yes when do you think this could be implemented? It would, IMHO, add a bit more interaction on the website.

It could be something more than just a Like button, but could be using the smilies or vegetable pictures... Endless possibilities :mrgreen:

.. A "commiserate" one would be nice too, when we share experiments that did not turn as expected...

Thanks
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

Agree with Oscar!

Loads read but don't want or have the time to post! Like the veg option for like or dislike or even commiserate! Now what veg?

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Broken my silence..... just to say " GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR How long ago was this first suggested !!!!!!!!!!!!! "
Not a sign so far.
If It can't be done, for whatever reason, then I'm sure many would be glad if admin would say so.

Just one suggestion to my colleagues on the members side.
If we are to achieve anything lets KISS ................Keep It Silly Simple !!

Thank you for your time, I'm back to silent meditation .

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Hello! It can be done, but not with the current version of the forum software. We are planning an upgrade over the christmas break so we'll see if we can implement it then.
Darren
Westi
KG Regular

Pa! Told you zip wouldn't stay closed long! KGAdmin - give us a warning closer to the time please!

Westi
Westi
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Just to be contentious; which way would things go with the introduction of a ‘like’ button?
Would it provide too much of an easy option that could discourage actual posts containing expressions of opinion, thus doing nothing to widen our knowledge base, or would it provide a first ‘toe-in-the-water’ to potential forum members?
It could be a two-edged sword (or two sided button).
robo
KG Regular

Fred I thought the same I think it will diminish people's posts it's too easy just to press one button and not bother with posting
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Thanks Robo. It's nice to know I am not completely a minority of one.
The easy way out is not always the solution to a dilemma.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Well, on the contrary, my view is that it can help engage people a bit more. On the front page of the posts and below photos, there is a number of 'viewed', but while you do not necessarily always want to write a whole post, a little nod/wink, in the form of a like or something like that could help make it all a bit more dynamic.
It does not mean that people have to use it, but it would be there if people want to use it, rather than it just not being available.
I would think that anything to help dynamize the forum which we all like would be good, no?
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

I don’t totally disagree with your sentiments Oscar, I just have concerns that some people could use a button as the easy way out, and actually diminish the number of contributions to the forum.
Anything that can make the forum more dynamic I would welcome with open arms. If such a device encouraged people to make subsequent posts then its purpose would truly have been served. If, however, it made some of us a little more apathetic towards stating their opinions, (even if my opinions are wrong), because all they need to do is press a button, the quality of the forum could possibly deteriorate; something that, I am sure, none of us would wish to see.
The differing views which we are currently expressing on this topic could potentially be reduced to a press of a ‘dislike’ button, rather than a full-blown dialogue, and that would be a shame.
Westi
KG Regular

On sites with this option you find people do expand on why they pressed whatever button, especially if it is a dislike. They seem to want to expand on why they disagree with what was expressed without offending the individual. Of course we are anonymous on here so maybe they won't?

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic