Competitions

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Why on earth have you adopted the appalling Captcha system on your competition entries?
I have a good screen and reasonable eyesight but still find these systems unreadable. Refreshed it 5 or 6 times before I found something I thought I could read but still got it wrong.
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Hi Geoff,

Yes it's hard to read I agree. The captcha system is provided by Google, and used on many sites to stop spam.

Our competitions were being flooded by automated entries from competition websites. This meant thousands of useless entries for people who actually had no idea they where entered.
This means you or any KG reader had a much smaller chance of actually winning - and of course - we got a lot of useless entries.

As an example one competition last month had over 55,000 spam entries.

The cpatcha - annoying as it is - stops this 100%, so only genuine readers get in.

Keep refreshing, you'll get two words you can see eventually!!

Jason / KGAdmin
John
KG Regular

I assume then that it is OK to keep refreshing? I've always been a bit wary of doing this in case you get locked out after a few attempts and then have to reset your password and so on.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
KGAdmin
Site Admin

No - just hit the small refresh icon on the captcha itself - it looks like two arrows turning and is beside the audio option button. You can refresh the captcha image as often as you want.

J
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic