Jerusalem artichokes aka fartichokes

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Rubykitchen
KG Regular

I have received 20 tubers in the post - can't imagine i'll find the space to house these 5ft crazy plants...so if anyone fancied dipping their toe into the world of artichoke growing pm me your address - they're quite large heavy tubers, so not sure how much postage you'll need to put on??
Rubykitchen
KG Regular

PS - i'm not giving the 20 tubers away - i will be keeping some. but willing to send a couple out to a couple of people if anyone shows any interest.
Rubykitchen
KG Regular

no takers then. shame.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I have a clearout of mine and move to fresh ground now and then. The surplus to requirements I give to our local orgainc veggie shop. Cheers, Tony.
Tigger
KG Regular

I've got a bed of them, 20 foot by 5 foot. Courtesey of Chantal. I love them in soups (very smooth) or as chips. Definitely windy.

Happy to share some out.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
Now I know how you could readily advise me to use Asafoetida!
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Just wondering, are the chinese artichokes as windy? I haven't tried thiose yet. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
MR.SORRELL
KG Regular

Hello. I know nothing about them. Tell me a little I wish to try next year but am currently unaware.please.
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry MR SORRELL me again, I come on late as suits the mad house shenanigans!

They are smallish tubers under a tallish plant that has small sunflower type flowers. Size of tubers increases over the years & they taste a bit like chestnuts & make a wonderful soup. They cause some people to have flatulence problems, hence the name but doesn't affect everyone. Asafoetida is a Indian spice that tastes like mild onions & prevents this issue if you are affected - avail at the orange supermarket.

They make a great wind break (no pun intended), if your plot is exposed but like most things we grow there are both good & bad qualities. Their bad is they spread out & take over as almost impossible to get every tuber out.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Alas never had enough space to grow them and being uncivilised, we prefer the jumbo globe artichokes, which you can dump on your plate freshly boiled until tender, and then get your hands nice and messy smothering them in butter and scraping the flesh off the leaves between your teeth.

No, I never probably would get invited to dine in polite society but enjoying your food just as it's grown instead of being messed around with is sometimes much more fun. (And quite a bit less fart* than the Jerusalem types ! )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic