help lost saved achocha fat baby seeds from last yr

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Rubykitchen
KG Regular

any1 have a couple to spare?? thx
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm ashamed to say I'm standing in the corner with my Dunce's hat on because I've never even heard of this vegetable, let alone having any seeds for it.

I've now Googled and discovered what it looks like. Will have to look amongst the "Queer Gear" (as one of my acquaintances calls it) section next time I go into an ethnic food & veg shop.

Do you have one of these shops anywhere near you? Maybe you could buy some and get some seeds that way if all else fails.
Rubykitchen
KG Regular

never seen them in shops - but despite most forum members telling me i had little chance producing any fruit in my Morpeth greenhouse - once they started to produce they didn't stop - trained them up to the roof like a grape vine and fried they tasted like green peppers but much nicer. Check out realseeds.co.uk - that's where I got the original seeds from. As i haven't had a response probably end up having to just buy more seeds - welcome to a couple if you want to try growing them? In bucks you will be able to let them scramble up side of a fence/shed - they are a bit rampant - but even in my greenhouse I just nipped off any stray tendrils when I did my tomatoes on a weekly basis and kept it under control. Certainly got our monies worth of this veg last year. just gutted lost my saved seed - as previous year they didn't grow at all. lesson learnt not to dump seed in stupid places and think I'll remember - especially having just recently gone to trouble of sorting all my seeds into two old champagne boxes. hoo hum.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I had to google to find them too, so can't help sorry, I would like to try some
though. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Rubykitchen
KG Regular

Righto - thanks anyway. Have ordered some from Realseeds - usually get lots so i anyone wants some - pm me your address. grow it and spread the word - I'm such a lazy gardener and even I kept the plant under control in a 6 x 8 greenhouse. So worth it - easy to grow and lovely unusual crop. I'm in Northumberland - but the company are from Wales and they grow successfully outside. But not taking any responsibility if the plant takes over :)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Ruby, thank you, the achocha seeds arrived today, I'm wondering if grown in the greenhouse how big a pot I should use? actually I have a lean to greenhouse right along the bungalow wall so it can spread a bit. If there are any seeds you would like please let me know.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic