Dau Gauk seeds.

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Or Dau Gawk seeds, otherwise known as Snake beans (the long beans that are usually seen in Chinese Supermarkets). Anyone out there know of a source (Seedsman's catalogue) of these seeds? Cheers, Tony.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Tony,
try looking for yard long beans.
regards Sally Wright.
Tigger
KG Regular

Seeds of Italy sell them.
alan refail
KG Regular

...and a note of caution: they are not reliable croppers even grown in a greenhouse or polytunnel :( :(
Chantal
KG Regular

Agreed Alan. I tried the outside one year (and it was a nice summer) but didn't get a single bean!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I agree with the reliability, I've tried them once before but what the heck, if you don't try......Cheers, to all repliers. Tony.
mandylew
KG Regular

I have tried several times it was someone on here that joked "they didn't even get a yard of the ground" when I decided to give up, i might have some seeds left i'll have a look later for you.
Colin_M
KG Regular

I believe Cevnol Jardin has grown these (or a similar long bean) several times. She's in France so you'll have to compare climate & other growing conditions.

See here for more details. There may be more details on her site, otherwise drop her a line - she's usually pretty helpful. She's also very interested in seed swapping.

I can't blame you for wanting to try - they look great in ethnic shops.
Tigger
KG Regular

That's the answer Colin - buy them in ethnic shops! You only need a few each month and they're not expensive. Use your ground for something you need most days or for a product that costs losts.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Tigger wrote:That's the answer Colin - buy them in ethnic shops!

Sigh! Of course you're probably right.....

However I know how people feel - when you see the rate at which things like Cobra French beans seem to grow in the summer, there's a temptation to hope that the same results could be translated to the longer version.
Last edited by Colin_M on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan refail
KG Regular

Colin_M wrote:
However I know how people feel - when you see the rate at which things like Cobra Frecnh beans seem to grow in the summer, there's a temptation to hope that the same results could be translated to the longer version.

A vain hope since Yard-long beans are most assuredly not Phaseolus vulgaris. They are Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis - a different genus of legume altogether - and tropical :!:

When I have managed to tease a few from the plants I found them tough and tastless :(
Colin_M
KG Regular

Point well made Alan.

However Cevenol Jardin has had pretty good crops of these under glass. Granted, she's growing them in France but I think the area is not completely mediterranean in climate.

You'll see by looking here that Alan and CJ had some correspondence on this subject and (whether or not they're the exact variety you originally asked about) she had a pretty good crop.

It's fair to say that Alan is right to warn against raising your hopes as there can be issues unless you chose the right variety & cultivation - see here
mandylew
KG Regular

Here are some on e-bay I have bought from this seller before they are really good and the postage is same no matter how many you buy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

sorry i couldnt find any seeds I must have chucked them in a fit of disallusion.
mandylew
KG Regular

actually i have just been through my seed box and found the packet, although they were sow by year 2008 you are welcome to some to try, just drop me your address if you would like me to send them..
Mandy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic