Pitahaya (dragon fruit) seeds give-away!

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

The other day I posted about my tiny dragonfruit babies and they look really adorable! This is what mine look like right now (photo below) and if you feel like it, I have a small package of seeds left. They ship from the Netherlands. Send me a private message if you want to give those a try! :)

20190517_130315.jpg
20190517_130315.jpg (4.04 MiB) Viewed 6905 times

Germination and growing
For as far as I know it's not too late. You can try them all year around but keep in mind that it takes 3 years to set fruit. The best temperatures may be around 25-35°C for germination I figured. In the window sill on a sunny day may be good enough. Keep them warm and moist, especially in the early stages. This cactus grows very slowly, apparently. They do get really huge if taken care of properly, unlike their root system which is small and shallow. They are perfect for in a smaller container. I just love to see the first little cactus hairs show up after about a month. When germinating, they first look more like succulents rather than a cactus. Do not ever transplant them untill they are larger, perhaps even in the second year! You don't want to damage any roots because there aren't too many and they're fragile too. When they are large and grown, you can easily break off a cactus piece and stick it in the ground. It will grow new roots again very easily and now you've got yourself another cactus. Their flowers are beautiful too!

Photos below are NOT mine!

Screenshot_20190517-133135_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-133135_Chrome.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 6905 times

Screenshot_20190517-133048_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-133048_Chrome.jpg (776.79 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
Last edited by Elmigo on Sat May 25, 2019 2:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Wow, wish I had the room and the climate for those, if only for the flowers, they look a lot like the Epiphytes I grow, only I don't get any fruit
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Elmigo
KG Regular

I don't have the climate either, but indoors they seem to do well. I once found a video of someone growing dragonfruit in the UK so that means after all, it is possible! :mrgreen:

Edit: Looked up those epiphytes and wow, I thought I was looking at another variety of dragonfruit, they look alike!
sackho
KG Regular

Looks beautiful!
I can't watch sport events anymore. That's why I'm going to visit it IRL. I did check book of ra deluxe gratis lately. Everything is clear now.
Westi
KG Regular

Wow! If only? I can't even get an edible passionfruit to germinate, but they do grow in the UK so on the list to try again! This year I am going conservative alongside the passionfruit & trying to get some celery to grow that actually has fine stalks above 6" high & stringy. I know it is about water for these guys but researching. Not overly keen on it except to dunk in a dip but also goes in the stocks for soups etc. But my winter (& frequently summer) work lunch is soup!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic