Offered - Walking Onions seed

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Had to google them. They look brilliant, but don't think I'll be growing them until I am able to dedicate a perminant area for them. I saw the words prolific and onions for ever....

I tried to grow some Welsh onions from seed a couple of years ago (which I think are bunching) as you're supposed to be able to use them like a chive in the winter and will produce a pretty yellow flower. Not great germination and didn't grow back the following year as they were supposed to. I still have some seed so maybe I'll try again.

Interestingly , I 'collected' some chive seed heads from a rather famous restaurant in Spain's kitchen garden. Not one seed germinated. The pots are still in the cold frame. I cut a seed open to see if it rotted, but the inside looked alive. Do you think it is a case of leave them and when it's warmer they might germinate or stick in the compost? Odd as chives are generally easy to grow from seed? Maybe I need to learn more about which seeds are good to collect and which you should always buy.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:I had some that started to 'walk' but then disappeared.

Westi

Lesson learned then, when growing walking onions always leave an encapsulated map on the plot :D .

I am however deeply concerned about this lost wandering crop, did they walk back to Egypt ?
Are they happy and wildly sowing their seed across the south of England landscape
Did they meet a violent end in someone's kitchen

Is there a 'lost walking onion' support group ?
Should we be running marathons to raise awareness ?

If you have been adversely affected by this thread ................................................ seek counselling :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I sowed the seeds and a few germinated, but I'm afraid they vanished without a trace. I don't know whether it was slugs or they just didn't get going. I had some years ago from some bulbs I was given, and they progressed along that bit of the garden, sending up stalks with clumps of more little bulbs on top, falling over and the new ones re rooting to start again. They don't make large bulbs, but a few in a stew were good. I think they called them Egyptian Tree onions when I bought them.

I've had some Welsh onions for years and moved them a few times, the only thing is, I never remember to use them. They have made a nice clump and have the usual globe shaped white onion flowers. I do sometimes snip a few leaves to chop instead of chives.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic