Chayote / Choko

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Does anyone know where I can buy any of these? There used to be a Chinese supermarket that sold them down her but it has gone & we don't have any other good ethnic stores around.

It is a veg I grew in Aus & I grew one a couple of years ago successfully here. I have a barren bit of fencing that I would like to cover & although it turns out to be a bit of a '101 things to do with', type of squash it immediately sprung to mind as a good way to cover the fence & provide a bit of a wind break.

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Try Thompson & Morgan, they'd try and sell Papaya or Pineapple in the UK if they though anyone would buy it. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Hoping for a sub-tropical summer, Westi? Even T&M don't try to sell it!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Alan always hoping! :D After all this is the tropical end of England!

Once it gets going it can cope with cold but not frost - it is just a type of squash really but not so well behaved. If it hides the fence & the unkempt neighbours plot it'll do it's job with or without fruit.

I know you can get them in more metropolitan places than Bournemouth but I expect there is somewhere around here as our population is diversifying slowly but surely. (Mind still one of the oldest in the country though).

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

seems its very common in sub tropical countries do you know any body in Australia or new Zealand could send you a packet of seeds over
Westi
KG Regular

The seeds don't grow - have to sprout the fruit from the year before or plant the fruit! A bit like sweet potatoes.

Silly me - but posted on that FB thing so someone might find one somewhere!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic