Kiwano (horned melon) seeds give-away!

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Kiwano (horned melon) seeds give-away!

Postby Elmigo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Because some people mentionned that they have never heard of those, here's a little give-away for the curious amongst us! Please keep in mind that I'm sending those from the Netherlands so it may take a moment to reach your location, depending on where you are. Who wants to give them a try? I already did!

The seeds look just like cucumber seeds, which reveals their family name (cucumis).
Screenshot_20190416-185347_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190416-185347_Gallery.jpg (706.67 KiB) Viewed 524 times

This is my first ever attempt at growing kiwano. The plants look very similar to cucumber too.
Screenshot_20190416-185413_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190416-185413_Gallery.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 524 times

Instructions
(for as far as I know)
Keep the seeds very warm in a propagator. Kiwano loves a whole lot of warmth after germination too, but less water than cucumbers. Plant loves full sunlight and originally grows in Kalahari (Africa). Oh and they grow fast. Very fast and large in size. Growing them in a greenhouse would be perfect unless you live somewhere extremely hot.

Packages
15+ seeds (x)
15+ seeds
15+ seeds
Last edited by Elmigo on Sat May 18, 2019 10:00 am, edited 9 times in total.
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Re: Kiwano seeds give-away!

Postby Westi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Elmigo I would very much like to try to grow one, you have gained my interest. PM me & I'll sort out P & P with you.

I wonder if they will enjoy the Chilean cucumber my neighbour on the plot is growing for me as a bed fellow. He gave me one last year to try but I didn't save the seed like a plonker. The fruit is huge, no spines & very narrow ridges & soft skin, about 8" - 10" width and can grow to about 3' long dependent on the weather. You just cut off how much you need & the skin re-grows around it & more flesh than seeds when sliced. Taste is mildly cucumber, not as watery & a wee hint of melon & a stronger crunch. He doesn't know the name as he brought seeds back when visiting his family a few years back but it is local to where he lived.

If I am successful growing it on I will send you some seeds next year!
1 x
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Re: Kiwano seeds give-away!

Postby Elmigo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Westi wrote:Elmigo I would very much like to try...

That's a fruit I've honestly never heard of before. Would love to try those too another year! By the way, I have sent you a private message.
0 x

Return to “Seed Swop-Shop”