Tayberry leaf

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

wygela
KG Regular

My tayberry ( just one year old) appears to be growing blackberry leaves on the new stems.( five leaves and much bigger) Could/do tayberries ever revert to blackberries?
A friend thinks it likely that a blackberry has snuck up, but it seems to be growing from the same plant.
The new stems are about 5 ft high but with no flowers.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hello Wygela. It is not flowering because new shoots that grow this year will not fruit until next year, they fruit on last years wood, tie the new canes in firmly for the winter and mulch the roots well with compost to feed from overwinter and spring and they should fruit well next year. Next year cut old canes out after fruiting and tie in the new canes ready for fruiting the following year.
I see you live in Devon, guessing it is an area with low rainfall, so mulch before the warm weather with straw, grass clippings or anything else suitable to help conserve moisture. If you cut off this years canes you will have no fruit next year so be sure it is a stray bramble before you cut or dig it up.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
wygela
KG Regular

Thank you natures babe for your reply.
Yes the reason I mention about the lack of flowers is that I suppose if it was a bramble it would be flowering.
My question is really about the leaves- the liklihood of them changing from small 3 leaf to larger 5 leaf.
Otherwise the plant is growing somewhat like a triffid! Lots of fruit ripening up this year.
I suppose all I can do is wait til next year and see what happens..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic