Seed Germination

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bren
KG Regular

Have anyone seen the report by Which gardening on the poor germination of some seeds, they found that only 57% of white lisbon spring onions from Unwins germinated instead of th required 70%. Simpsons Hesta runner bean seed 41% germinated instead of 80% legal minimum. Dobies and Suttons were found to have good germination, Nicky's nurseries managed 94% healty seeds.
Bren
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Bren

I hadn't seen the report but had observed variable germination rates
in my sowings which I put down to me and the weather. Probably
is me & the weather but maybe :roll:

Westi
Westi
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Those are not altogether surprising results. Onion seed is notoriously capricious, although if the company is selling fresh seed, it should have reached the prescribed target. Suttons and Dobies (the same company) pride themselves in selling quality seeds, and true-to-type, so I'm glad that their quality has been endorsed. Was there any mention of T&M in the Which? report, Bren?
Allotment, but little achieved.
Bren
KG Regular

FelixLeiter Thompson and Morgan were mentioned in the flower seed Begonia when 39% of the seed were dead,
It says research found that 7 of the 17 leading suppliers failed to meet minimum germination but didn't name them.
Bren
Bren
KG Regular

I forgot to say I didn't read the orignal report, what I read was in one of our local newspapers.
Bren
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic