Black Russian tomatoes

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

First time I've grown this variety but have noticed, with the second trusses now appearing on all three plants, only a maximum of three out of six or seven fruits have developed from the flowers.
Is this a characteristic of this variety? The tomatoes look as if they're going to be rather large, and despite a weekly feed I'm wondering whether this is the plant's natural way of preserving its energy.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Last year mine all set, but this year the ones flowering during the hot spell a few weeks ago have only set a few per truss. You may get more setting now the weather has cooled down a bit. More likely the weather than the variety.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

This is a characteristic of a lot of beefsteak varieties: they don't set well during a hot spell. You'll find they'll set much better now that it's cooled off.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I can post you a rabbit's tail to help with pollination. By the way, the rabbit was delicious. Cheers, Tony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic