Tomato - 'Tigerella'

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG magazine
KG Regular

(aka 'Mr Stripey') Free this month with KG!

Not just a pretty face, this uniquely striped tomato is also greenback free, a heavt cropper and will crop easily until the frosts. Perfect for indoor and outdoor growing. An attractive tomato for fresh salads and sandwiches.

Sowing instructions

Sow seeds 6mm (1/4in) deep in pots or trays of good, free draining, damp seed compost and cover with a sprinkling of vermiculite or compost. Place in a propagator, or seal container in a polythene bag, at 18-21C (65-70F)until after germination, which takes 7-10 days.

Growing instructions

Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle into 7.5 cm (3in) pots. Plant in the greenhouse in individual large pots, or 3 plants per grow bag when 20cm (8in) high. These can be planted outdoors, 45cm (18in) apart, once all risk of frost has passed. Plants require side shooting and support for the best yields. Water and feed plants regularly with a high potash feed once the first truss has set.
Grow your own fruit and veg with the UK's No. 1 Kitchen Garden magazine
www.kitchengarden.co.uk
Geoff
KG Regular

I sowed 10 varieties of tomato from different sources, some 2 years old, all in the same way in my propagator. The only one that didn't give me my target of 3 plants from 6 or 7 seeds was Tigerella. In my view typical T&M germination which is why I never buy from them.
Primrose
KG Regular

Interesting to see Geoff's comment about the germination rate of Thompson & Morgan's seeds because this has been exactly my experience in the past too and although I've been growing vegetables from seeds for years, I wondered whether I was just unlucky. I also try and avoid using their seeds wherever possible. The only real successes I've had with them are Blauhile purple climbing French Beans and their Swiss Chard.
Tigger
KG Regular

Interesting - I go out of my way to get T&M seeds because they are so prolific! Apart from strawberries - they've been a year on year failure for nearly 30 years.

As for Tigerella - it's a lovely, flavoursome tomato. Do try it.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I haven't bought from T&M until this year, having been given a sub to the KG mag for my birthday. All the tomato seeds and pepper seeds which I have sown have germinated splendidly and all the seedlings are looking very healthy. Either you or I must have had a rogue batch!

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Angi
KG Regular

My tigerellas didn't germinate!
Chantal
KG Regular

I had 100% germination :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

And me. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic