Another quick word, about previous posts...

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mr Potato Head

If you know of suitable posts that appear in other sections of the site, the best thing to do is simply ask me to move the topic. Please be warned though that I expect to get lots of these so it may take some time to get around to them all, please be patient. :wink:
Allan
KG Regular

Why is all the discussion about what to do here still left under the topic "Suttons seed trial" which is locked.
Meanwhile this topic is totally unsupported with further contributions (apart from Yors Truly who is waiting for someone else to take action).
Not a happy start to the whole concept.
Allan
Colin_M
KG Regular

This section seems to be a slight Cinderella & maybe more guidance would help.
Here are some possible issues:
- Mr PH has asked that extended discussion be avoided. However this is part of a discussion forum.... :(

- We are likely to get information in a fairly free format mode. In other words, without any consistent structure & content, you'll get quite a mishmash of information from different people & on different varieties

- It's unclear whether you want this to turn into a reference section. If so, are you thinking of something like Wikipedia?

I'm quite happy with the opportunity that Mr PH has given us. Perhaps it should remain as free format. However it'll be hard not to add discussion about some posts :lol:

Colin
Mr Potato Head

To be honest, as I've already pointed out to Allan, I don't expect this section to be absolutely on fire, as uncontentious issues tend not to attract many comments! :roll:

Please be patient and diligent, and I'm sure that, given time, it will grow into a useful resource! :mrgreen:

I've proposed the idea of a Wiki to the powers that be, but currently we don't have the resources to manage it properly, on top of the forum. :(
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

We know the forum model is not best suited to collate the data we want but we could give it a go. here's a few suggestions that might make it easier:
Structured info
If we are putting info in about a variety we should give it some structure or we will be going round in circles - if many people have their own data it will have some form of structure so lets come up with a structure we can all share, covering some basic headers consistently. -i've given it a go with swiss chard - what do you think?

Make it editable
i have noticed that for my own posts they are editable. Would it be possible to set the forum for this section only so that all contributions are EDITABLE by everyone?

Sub-sections
how about setting some Headers such as ROOTS < BRASSICAS< ALLIUMS> LEGUMES > LEAF > SALAD > PERENNIALS > TUBERS > CURCUBOITS or something similar? so that all posts for cabbages, kale, sprouts etc are under brassica etc?

Issue of Acuracy
one of the reasons we wanted to collect and share our own data was because of the lack of acuracy or conflicing info outthere. How about rating the acuracy of what we collate & post using the existing poll function on the forum. I've given it a go with Swiss Chard - what do you think?

Back to wiki idea
We can always give it a go the information won't be wasted and if it doesn't work out we could always go for a wiki solution - I would be willing to volunteer to manage such a section if necessary. The software is free as it is open source, so should cost KG nothing.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
dewwex
KG Regular

The 'technical area' of the forum gets my thumbs up so far.

I like the detail and exactness of it all.

lets keep it this way, i say.!

Many forums (not just gardening) need this, since i feel people who go to the bother of writing detailed posts deserve their own space and recognition! they are putting in alot of work. It would be sad to see their contribution get pushed down the order of forum into obscurity.

So i happy with this format.

Volume of posts is not the B all and end all!!
Monika
KG Regular

Maybe the problem is the title "technical data"? For a long time, I never looked at it because the title suggested something non-gardening, like computer data or similar. Perhaps somebody might be able to suggest an appropriate title? I can't.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic