Any delphinium growers on here?

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Know this is mainly a vegetable forum but I have a puzzling problem with some delphiniums this year which I to avoid next season if possible.
More than one plant has developed a spike of flowers above a totally flattened stalk, rather than a normal round stalk which means the flower heads are hanging their heads down rather than blooming in an upright position.

I have watered, but perhaps not enough and wondered if this was the cause. Any advice welcome. You can see the flattened bent over stalk at the top of the flower head.
Attachments
3FA4AF67-F593-4751-975F-E72C51D88056.jpeg
3FA4AF67-F593-4751-975F-E72C51D88056.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 6056 times
Geoff
KG Regular

It is called fasciation. The RHS says almost anything can be affected but it doesn't usually recur from year to year.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=525

PS : is there a flower forum anywhere?
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff I,ve never heard of this before so glad if doesn,t seem to have been caused by my neglect.
I see foxgloves can be similarly affected and although these are growing amongst a mass of foxgloves none of them are affected so will just have to wait and see what happens next Summer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic