Mamba Climbing French BeNs

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

As well as growing my favourite Cobra this year I'm experimenting with some Mamba variety which the Thompson & Morgan packet tells me produce double the yield of Cobra. Hmmm!

Has anybody ever grown them? The yield has been disappointing. They've only grown to half the height of Cobra (although the packet does say they are very suitable for container growing which ought to have given me a clue) but frustratingly they seem very reluctant to self twist round the canes and flop down to floor level immediately the weight of the beans pulls them down.

They seem to be halfway house betweenclimbing French beans and dwarf ones but I,m wondering if I,m condemning them simply because the hot weather my have impeded their normal growth (despite regular watering) and that in normal conditions they might usually grow to the height of Cobra?
Westi
KG Regular

Not heard of them but it is not the best year to put the descriptions on the packet to test for any variety I'd say! They would have been trialled over the last few years successfully to allow that description but we've not seen this weather for a long, long, time!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic