Rescuing “blind” snowdrops

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I have several clumps of snowdrops planted under the cover of evergreen shrubs which have come up blind, without flowers for the first time this year.
I’m wonder whether the shade and lack of light has suddenly proved too overpowering for them.

If I dig them up now in the green and replant them in a sunnier spot, do you think they will flower again next year. Does anybody have experience of snowdrops going blind?
Monika
KG Regular

They are probably too crowded, Primrose. I would replant them in a sunnier spot, well apart, and give them a general feed to build up resources.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Often caused by a lack of moisture too.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes they are under some dense camellia overgrowth where the soil gets very dry so not the best growing conditions. Hopefully they will gradually perk up under some healthier conditions.
I probably should have moved them last year but once the foliage has died back they tend to be out of sight, out of mind and then I can never remember exactly where they’re located to dig them up and replant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic