Tomatoes which do well or otherwise

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

In the past I've mentioned that Ildi variety cherry plum tomatoes (cordons) are massively prolific in terms of the number of fruits produced and once again this year their weight has caused my plants to have to be tied up firmly to prevent the stakes to which they're tied from toppling over.

But they're a variety which do not keep well once they're ripe as the skins have a tendency to burst very easily so this year most of mine from two plants have been cooked down for tomato purree apart from a few kept to liven up tomato salads. . Worth growing one plant though if you've never tried them just to marvel at how many they produce. From a flavour point of view they're best picked and eaten before their skins start to soften.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They sound worth a try Primrose, although I've told myself not to grow too many varieties next year (again). Does it say whether they are f1s or not?

Don't you find that most cherry varieties tend to split when they're ripe.

All the different varieties I've grown have a very good flavour this year with the late warm sunny spell despite a slow start.
robo
KG Regular

I am going to have to be very careful next year as to what strains I grow after the battering blight has done this year,I always grow moneymaker I have done for over forty years I've never had a problem I also grow alicante as well as some big boys and various cherry ones and a few plum I read somewhere last week that it's impossible to get blight resistant tomatoes in Britain but I can't remember where I read it I think it's a touch of awldtimers
Primrose
KG Regular

i,m not sure whether Ildi are F1 or not. I've grown them from saved seed in the past and they've grown pretty true to type , so probably they're not.
I've noticed that my cordon cherry tomatoes are far more liable to splitting than the tumblers which hardly ever seem to split, even when ripe for some reason. The latter seem to be a hardier type of tomato for whatever reason and their skins seem to be slightly tougher.
Primrose
KG Regular

I always grow a few Ferline F1 blight resistant tomatoes. They have been particularly successful this year both in terms of size (larger than I recall them being last year) and flavour. if you've never grown them Robo I recommend you give them a try. It'sso demoralising to nurture your seedlings and then lose the plants especially when they're starting to bear fruit . They're a nice salad tomato size.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thinking about cherry tomatoes splitting the tumblers do seem tougher. I grew Garden Pearl and they stood well for ages without splitting.
robo
KG Regular

Primrose ,I will try them next year
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic