Francine Seed Potatoes

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Oakridge
KG Regular

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Three years ago on one of our regular trips to France we bought some Francine Seed potatoes and liked them very much. This is quite legal as stated in the Border Force leaflet: 'Bringing fruit, vegetables and plant products into the UK'. Now that we are not so young as we were and there is only one driver we are going to France less often so I was wondering if anyone knew where these seed potatoes may be bought in Britain. I have drawn a blank on t'internet.

We find that the quality of plants, seeds, etc for sale in France is very high.

Just an aside. Our friends of the Charante have a couple who are retired farmers nearby who are very pleasant and ply visitors with home made pinot. They also have a fantastic vegetable garden so a asked how long it had been in use. After a pause for calculation they said that it was at least 400 years. We have a bit to go yet.

Malcolm
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi

Have you been searching for the right spelling or is it just an error on this post.
According to internet search Franceline is perhaps better known here as a red charlotte

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Having said the above I have yet to find anyone in UK listing by either Red Charlotte or Franceline names.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Oakridge
KG Regular

I bought Franceline in France this March but they are very small tubers. What I thought were called Francine made large, red elongated tubers, in fact one reached a length of 10". I think the best thing to do is wait and see what comes out of the ground later in the year.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Maybe this will help

http://www.pomuni.com/en/potatoes/firm- ... ranceline/

Anything I have found with Francine spelling is of no help in finding a UK source
https://www.europotato.org/display_desc ... e=FRANCINE

Have now found them listed as two different varieties though

Oakridge
KG Regular

Thank you Pa. The two certainly have similar descriptions and the picture of Franceline looks like Francine. They are planted now so we will see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic