Crimson Crush Tomato

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I was very surprised you could only buy this blight resistant tomato as plug plants. My tomatoes succumb quite easily to blight and I was waiting for a blight resistant variety, as we have seemed to have had the potato equivalent for a while now.

Obviously I now have an opportunity to save my own seeds for years to come but it seems a little strange to sell as a plant first before seed. Surely they would make more money out of the seed sales. Although 3 plugs for £7.99 is obviously going to make them a profit!

Do you think it was just to beat their competitors or sound economic sense?

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

As regaeds saving seed, is yjis an F1
Suttons are silent on this :(

F1 OR OPEN POLLINATED?: At this stage it is not known if this F1 or open pollinated although we strongly suspect it will be marketed as F1.

http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetabl ... -crush.php
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Alan!

Even more interesting, no idea of taste or whether will be an F1 & I wonder if it will really be 100% blight resistant. I don't mind if it is not overly sweet, orange flesh might be a bit off putting in sauces though.

I can't wait to experiment!

Westi
Westi
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I expect it is being marketed as plants because this variety has not yet been registered under the Plant Varieties and Seeds Act. A loophole in the legislation allows unregistered varieties to be sold as plants but not as seed. As far as it being of hybrid origin, it is likely to be so. Nevertheless, many F1 tomato varieties are more stable than their origins may suggest when grown on to a second generation. Certainly worth a stab if you're feeling adventurous.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm prepared to experiment, especially if it does turn out to be 100% blight resistant. I'll be happy even if it lasts a bit longer than my other toms that succumb very early to blight - these plants will only be 1st generation & maybe will get a nice red flesh at some point! (Orange still bothers me)!

Thank you!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi. Somebody has just kindly given me one of their Crimson Crush blight resistant plug tomato plants so that I can try growing it outdoors amongst my other varieties and we can compare notes. I too tried to check online if it was an F1 variety without much success as I am planning to try and save some seed at the end of the season if it has a decent flavour.
Nobody round here seems to grow tomatoes outdoors so that may help reduce my blight resistance. I am also growing some Ferline blight resistant plants so if the deadly disease strikes , it will be interesting to see how the two compares.

We must compare notes at the end of the season.

I must say though that I now also always grow some red and yellow Tumbling Tom bush varieties in pots and in my borders as these crop much earlier so if blight does strike I still manage to get some sort of crop. When blight has struck in previous years my bush tomatoes always seem to have kept going for much longer for some unknown reason.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

Indeed let's compare. I have a self seeded cherry tomato (name long forgotten), that has come up for about 4 years now in the open on the allotment. It is not completely blight resistant but each year it lasts a fair bit longer before succumbing to blight. Last year was a good year for all my toms with only 2 periods alerted, but the year before it lasted at least 4 weeks later after my others were decimated & had a lovely ripe crop of wee toms. I'm wondering if it is developing some more resistance each year - I'm sure someone will tell me if this is just a fluke though!

I hedge my bets with all my toms though, some at home both in & outdoors, some under a shade cloth structure at lottie & some outside in a bed. Crimson Crush is going outdoors at lottie to test it out!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic