Should I get opal or clear roof on my lean-to

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Di
KG Regular

The steps which lead down from my kitchen to my back door are covered over with a 'conservatory' which I use as a greenhouse for raising seedlings in spring and then growing on tomatoes, peppers etc later on.

This is now rotten, and I'm planning to replace it with a upvc double glazed version. The conservatory bod seems to think I should have an opal polycarb roof rather than clear as that will show the dirt, but as I'm more interested in light and growing than aesthetics I think I need clear - am I right?

Advice welcomed as I feel I'm swimming against the tide of what is normal - cos normal people have conservatories not greenhouses apparently...
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hello Di, I have a long lean to greenhouse on the south side of our bungalow, even with opal roof which was here when we moved in it still gets too hot at times, in summer the doors are open both ends to give air circulation and cool it a bit unless the weather is cool. I guess it depends on climate and wether it faces north or south etc ? :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Opal,
during Spring and Autumn when light levels are lower a clear roof would be an advantage. That said clear polycarbonate WILL make it very hot in summer so a compromise might be an exterior roller shading mat or something rigged inside to cut down the heat. I would not recommend putting shade paints onto the polycarbonate. There is the risk of scratching off the uv protective layer which will greatly diminish the lifespan of the polycarbonate at removal time.
Regards Sally Wright.
Di
KG Regular

Thanks for your thoughts, I think I'll go for the clear as low light levels in spring will mean leggy seedlings. I will however make sure there is a way of shading from inside - hooks or something to take some muslin drapes.

Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic