small flies in the greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

phill
KG Regular

Greetings people
I appear to have a plague of small grey/black flies in my greenhouse. They have set up home in the grow-bag compost which I have emptied into pots for growing. To date they are in the tomato, pepper and melon pots, they seem to like the compost and don't appear to settle on the plants. Any ideas what they are and how best to erradicate the problem. there must be hundreds in there. I didn't want to try spraying anything such as Raid or any other household sprays in case of contaminating or killing the plants. All suggestions welcome!!... many thanks.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hello Phill, welcome to the forum. :) Possibly fungus gnats? Try the sticky yellow greenhouse insect traps just above the soil - best used to prevent the problem though in future.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
phill
KG Regular

Thank you nature's babe, will give it a try. :D
the custodian
KG Regular

hi phill welcome to the forum, if you want a natural defence try buying a couple of venus flie trap plants they will love the conditions in the summer green house and eat lots of flies for you. just remember to bring them in in the winter the kitchen is best.
if at first you dont succeed try a mint!!!
phill
KG Regular

never thought of the venus fly trap, will investigate further, thanks.
alan refail
KG Regular

phill wrote:never thought of the venus fly trap, will investigate further, thanks.

Hi Phill

Don't get your hopes up with the Venus flytrap. It only works if the flies fly in - and if the plant wants to eat them. Have a look at this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Flyt ... electivity
phill
KG Regular

Hi Alan, think the yellow fly trap are doing their thing as there appears to be quite a few on there. Will hold fire on the venus fly trap. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
alexhepgurn
KG Regular

I have one question. Using venus fly trap has any side effect? I have heard some where that they have bad effect for health.

Still I am not sure so need an expert advice.
phill
KG Regular

Hi, my venus fly trap didn't seem to cause any problems. I put sticky tapes by the pots and eliminated most of the flies that way
Woodland Elf
KG Regular

Hi All

I've tried sticky traps in the polytunnel before but I am quite tall and they stick in my hair :( This year I have bought a Sarracenia Flava pitcher plant that will hopefully eat the bugs and it is hardy so it should be able to live in the tunnel all year. I really like it so I am looking for another one to buy now. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic