cucumbers

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

heyjude
KG Regular

I am planning 2 all female F1 cucumbers in the tunnel - Socrates, which was very successful last year and Saturn. I have also got some seedlings of a gherkin cucumber called Cornichon de Paris. The cornichon packet does not mention male flowers, so presumably they will have them and need them to form cucumbers. Will pollen from these male flowers fertilise the other two? And will it make the fruit bitter?

And who on this earth decided to name a cucumber after a Greek philosopher? Or a planet for that matter?

Many thanks
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Gherkins and cucumbers are the same species, so your gherkins will pose a risk.

The names of vegetable varieties can be a great source of amusement. Big Boy tomato always raises a titter from me, but then maybe I should grow up. Perhaps naming varieties after planets is aspirational.
Allotment, but little achieved.
alan refail
KG Regular

You would be wise to grow your Cornichon outside, or it will pollinate the others in the tunnel.
heyjude
KG Regular

Thanks - I thought as much. It's not a great problem because we also have a little greenhouse that will hold the cornichons once some other things have been planted out. I just didn't think about it until all of them had germinated!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jude,
Nice to see that you are still around.
The name Cornichon de Paris is a bit of a misnomer because a Cornichon is any Gherkin that is pickled in sweet vinegar. Gherkins are best picked small and Cornichons are a particular favourite of mine. I knew we spoke the same language!
Sincerely,
JB.
darkbrowneggs
KG Regular

heyjude wrote:I am planning 2 all female F1 cucumbers in the tunnel - Socrates, which was very successful last year and Saturn. I have also got some seedlings of a gherkin cucumber called Cornichon de Paris. The cornichon packet does not mention male flowers, so presumably they will have them and need them to form cucumbers. Will pollen from these male flowers fertilise the other two? And will it make the fruit bitter?

And who on this earth decided to name a cucumber after a Greek philosopher? Or a planet for that matter?Many thanks

My two cucumber plants for this year are called Diane and Camilla !?! :o

All the best
Sue
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

My F1 female cucumbers are about 3 inches long now, and I have others outdoors to follow on, marketmore and burpless, also 3 gherkins, my mothers favourite pickled. I grow plenty so I can share with friends and family.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi NB,
Do you make Cornichons with your Gherkins or do you simple preserve in normal pickling vinegar?
If you do make Cornichons I would appreciate a glance at your recipe.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy, I almost missed your comment, here's my recipe, hope it works for you. :)

* 2 pounds gherkins or pickling cucumbers cut into 1/2-inch spears
* 1/2 cup salt, divided
* 2 cups white distilled vinegar
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped white onion
* 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
* 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh dill
* 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
* 2 cloves
* 2 bay leaf

Preparation:

Toss the cucumbers in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the salt. Arrange the cucumber on a single layer on a double-layer of clean kitchen towels. Allow the salt to draw the moisture out of the cucumbers for 90 minutes. Rinse the cucumbers thoroughly.

In a medium saucepan, heat the vinegar, 2 cups water, and the remaining salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Sterilize 2 1-pint jars, along with their lids and rings, and keep them hot until ready to fill with the pickling mixture.

Divide the onions, garlic, chopped dill, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaves between the 2 sterilized jars. Pack the cucumber into the jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace from the top of the jars. Fill the jars with the hot vinegar mixture, leaving 1/4-inch headspace form the top of the jars. Tap the jars to remove any air bubbles, cap the jars, and process them for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Cool the jars, and store them in a cool, dark place for at least 3 to 4 weeks before opening.
Double or triple the recipe if you want more. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic