Raised Beds

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mr Purple
KG Regular

Hi
Has anyone one used pressure treated decking wood for raised beds? The treatment on the wood smells quite strong. Does this effect the soil in anyway?
Thanks
David
Greenhouse Sensation
Monika
KG Regular

The SMELL wouldn't affect the plants but any noxious gases might. So it depends what is has been treated with, Mr P. Creosote is no longer legal so that is unlikely and most wood treatment stuff is non-toxic nowadays, I believe.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

hello Mr Purple, I made raised beds with wood years ago, however since then I have made three more raised beds without wood sides and I prefer without sides for the following reasons, easier access, and also with gently sloping sides I can plant the sides as well as the top of the beds, I mulch to conserve moisture and plant stuff through the mulch.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Mr Purple, pressure treated timber has been used for years now, and i'm yet to here of any horror stories. So i'm sure it would be fine.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic