Keith Singleton compost

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I bought a large pack of Keith Singleton multipurpose compost (not opened yet). It is made in Cumbria (checked it out on the internet).

Has anybody any experience of it?
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Hi Monika

Keith Singleton is based about 2 miles from me. I've used his products for years and have found them to be good. He runs a setup which is both wholesale and retail. I bought some escallonia from him years ago and when I went to pick them up he refused to let me have them because they weren't grown enough. He insisted I left them with him to grow on for a while. I think this is a good reference for him. As I say though, this was many years ago. I've no complaints about him at all. I must also say that I've no connection with him. I'll be interested to see what you think of the compost.

Regards

Ian
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, Ian, for your quick reply. It's the first time I have seen the compost here and looked it up on the internet. As I use about 4 or 5 large packs each spring and the allotment society prices are quite a bit lower than a garden centre, I might buy all KS compost this year but I did not want to risk that without trying it first. I will be using the first pack at the end of this week and will report how things are doing!
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Hi Monika

As I said I've no complaints. He must buy in most of the ingredients of his composts because there is no local supply of peat. Having said that, I guess virtually all suppliers must do the same. On his site he has the usual greenhouses etc and a large packing plant and piles of peat, grit etc so I'm fairly sure that he is actually packing the compost himself rather than simply paying someone else to pack and label. His prices are competitive, less than the local superstores, but I'm picking it up from him. Don't know how much you paid. A few years ago he was advertising that he supplied the royal gardens with compost. Not sure whether he still is or even whether this reflects on the quality of the product. I'll be interested to know how you get on with it.

Regards

Ian
Monika
KG Regular

I have opened the Keith Singleton potting compost and growbag and they feel fine to me. I know, the proof of the pudding is in the growing, but the last few years I have not been happy with the FEEL of some potting compost (too many wood chips, large lumps of uncomposted material etc), but the KS seems fine to me. Will keep you updated!
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

I went round to his nursery yesterday and bought 2 x 80 litres. One in the GH warming up ready for pricking out and the other behind the shed in reserve! Beautiful weather here during the day for the last couple of days but groundfrost both nights. Set to continue for the next few days apparently. Ground drying out nicely.

Regards

Ian
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Monika

Just wondered how you had got on with the Keith Singleton compost. As I said before it is what I tend to use every year because his nursery is close to me.

Regards

Ian
Monika
KG Regular

Ian, it was very good indeed, both to work with and, it appears, in results. I did get a lot of small seedlings at one point which looked like willow but I pulled them up before they developed any further. They MIGHT have flown in here because we have a number of different willow trees near our garden, but I think they came with the compost. It certainly won't stop me from buying it again next year.
solway cropper
KG Regular

I live in north-west Cumbria and came across Keith Singleton by accident on the internet. Anyway, we had a run down the coast today and I was impressed with the set-up there. I've already got most of the stuff i need for this year but I'll certainly have a trip next year and load up the car rather than buying in dribs and drabs from various places. The range of composts/fertilizers is much better than you find in most places and the prices are very good.
Monika
KG Regular

I am glad to hear about the setup for Keith Singleton's composts, solway cropper. We certainly had a successful year with them last year and I shall soon buy another lot for this year, particularly after having been sorely disappointed with some other commercial composts! Unfortunately, we have to drive quite a distance to the nearest stockist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic