WoodBlocX

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bobdaniel
KG Regular

I am thinking about using WoodBlocX to build a couple of raised beds in my garden.

Has anyone used these before? They sent me out a free sample box and the quality is really great. Does anyone know the optimum depth for growing carrots and parsnips?

Thanks

Bob
JohnN
KG Regular

Woodblox looks horribly expensive to me.
I plan to grow carrots etc in a raised position this year, so I've bought four 2m x 22cm x 22mm thick tannelised planks (£15) and supported them on six plastic beer crates, set in two "towers" of three each, two planks across/through the first crates, then the other four crates on top of the planks, and the other planks across the top.
I'm thinking of trying stump-root carrots in smallish pots, say about 5in deep, two carrots per pot, so any comment on optimum depth would be welcome. Or perhaps plastic crates, a bit deeper, would be advisable?
Best of luck!, John N.
bobdaniel
KG Regular

I really wanted something a bit more quality and so many raised beds on the market are very cheap and flimsy.

Its also for my garden so the wife needs it to look pretty as well.

I dont know if she would let me away with beer crates! Did you have to drink all the beer as well?

Thanks for the help and I would also like some advice on depth.

Cheers

Bob
JohnN
KG Regular

Hi Bob
Insthalling the beer cratshes wash quithe funsh :D
No, seriously, I find them most useful in the garden - light, strong and everlasting. But I take your point about the appearance and 'er indoors. Just a thought - you can always put a couple of pots on the top shelf and plant something like Wisteria to hang down and obscure the crates, or anything else unsightly supporting the trestle.
bobdaniel
KG Regular

Jusht fnished the frsht Crat nooo.

dnt care mch boot raishd bd nymore!

Bob
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic