Stupid/Newbie Question

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

carlos1981
KG Regular

Appologies for what may be a stupid question(s)..

I am going to go onto a waiting list for an allotment when i get round to it, but for now i am asking for any advice if it is even achievable to grow anything this year?

I have had to move, and am now on the 14th floor of a high rise. I have a small Balcony that i could use and no buildings or anything in the view.

If you need to know anything else, just let me know.
Monika
KG Regular

What direction does your balcony face, N, E, S or W?
carlos1981
KG Regular

Facing East i believe
haggis
KG Regular

Hi Carlos,
I'm sure there must be someone with more experience than I have who could help but I would suggest trying some of the following: salad leaves of any description - cut and come again types would be good, a chilli plant is fun, as would be some carrots and baby beetroot or radish. A courgette may be worthwhile if you get a compact plant as they can be really productive. Being East facing I wouldn't try tomatoes as you may not get enough sun. Just give it a go!
Monika
KG Regular

Salads, as has been suggested (there are lots of very good and interesting seed mixtures about) and I would also grow lots of herbs which are expensive to buy fresh and can be used to liven up lots of meals. Possibly tomatoes but it may not be warm or sunny enough for them facing east. A couple of "potato bags" (widely available with seed potatoes) might be fun because you can take out new potatoes as you need them and leave the rest to continue growing. Be aware, though, of any weight limits for your balcony! Also, you will have to carry all the potting compost to and through your flat, of course.
carlos1981
KG Regular

Thanks for that.

I did Salald/Potato's/Courgette Last year (Old house, Moved since), so i have still got the seeds for that.

I did try Chilli's but gave up on them, and they still started to come through.

I like the idea of Herbs as well, and they were quite easy to grow as well.

The main Issue i would also have, is Pests/Flies. I moved here in the summer, and in warm weather there are loads of flies around, which i am not keen on, does anyone ahve any idea's on how to get rid of them, so they don't ruin crops?
Tigger
KG Regular

If they're just run of the mill black flies, they won't do much, if any, harm to your plants.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My mother-in-law lives on the 21st floor of a tower block in Islington and has a few things in pots including lettuce and herbs but her balcony is North facing so rather cold, especially as it seems quite windy too.

One pest she hadn't expected was a squirrel which is a regular visitor and likes to rummage about in the pots! It seems to use the wires running up the outside of the building to get up and down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic