Can you recommend a propagator?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I have looked through a search for propagators, but although there are lots of mentions, there are no real recommendations.

I don't have any electric in my greenhouse, but I do now have a heater for the greenhouse to use in the spring once I start growing.

I have 2 small windowsills that are south facing - if this is essential?

I managed without one last year, but think I should probably have a small one now and wondered if anyone could recommend a type/brand that is effective?

many thanks,
Kind regards,

Elle
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elle, i can't really reccomend a make but, i think they make propagators that are made especially for window-ledges, taking those little quarter trays. I would think you can buy them in different lengths to best suit your window-ledge.
They will get certain things off to a good start, but just don't start sowing too early.

Whether you go for an electric one, is another question. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Dear OH,

Thank you for your reply, I definitely will be resisting all urges to plant early after last winter!!

Pardon my lack of knowledge - can I assume therefore that they must be placed on a windowsill?

Electric may be better as one of the windows is in our conservatory where the temperature can drop significantly at night.
Kind regards,

Elle
peter
KG Regular

If going for an indoor, windowsill, type then checl out Wilkinsons as they had very reasonably priced ones last year.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elle, the more light the seedlngs can get the better, so as close to a South facing window is the best place, especially at the beggining of the season with short and low light levels.

This will help to stop getting leggy plants, that are no good to man nor beast. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Elle,
I really think that propagators are overrated. I do have several that are left over from my nursery days but there are very few vegetables that actually require that much heat. Tomatoes and Peppers and mainly vegetables in the Solanaceae Family, everything else will germinate and grow in their own good time into good strong healthy plants.
To my way of thinking there are more bad plants produced than good ones with the use of propagators.
I will explain what I mean; propagators will certainly encourage germination which can be too quick and then what do you do with the plant? The answer is that most people haven't got the foggiest idea and the plant deteriorates because of inaction. Hence a poor quality plant.
In my nursery they were used mainly for bottom heat to shrub cuttings and to grow Tomatoes, Peppers, Chillies and Aubergines for the retail market.
Certainly there are many flowers that need heat during their germinating phase but I stress that there are very few vegetables.
JB.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hi again JB,

It seems I must really consider what I want it for. I do want to get chillies and tomatoes off to a slightly quicker start next year as everything seemed quite late this year. I do have a small heater now for the greenhouse to help once grown. I shall probably request something reasonably small and mid range price wise (it is a present for me). Thanks for all your help everyone.
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic