Window sill

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

valiant veggies
KG Regular

Hey

Seen as I'm missing all the growing fun up Lincs I have been wondering about starting things off on my windowsills ( the ones the moggies dont use that it ), so does any one have any ideas about what to start with? I have done the cress and now look at pea shoots but is there anything you wise people would suggest.
Valiant Veggies :-)
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Hi valiant veggies,

From one newbie to another. I have just received a catalogue from Marshalls (www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk). I have gone to the section on salad leaves and found "Provencale Salad Mix". It says it is a winter hardy blend, as long as it has some protection. As long as the window sill is not too hot I think it may work as cut and come again. What does everyone else think :?: . You could also try DT Brown's website they may have something.
Monika
KG Regular

I think you are probably starting off at the wrong time of the year, valiant veggies. Assuming the window sill is in the house, even in an unheated room, the light between now and, say, February, won't really be strong enough to make anything grow very successfully.

If a anything is labelled "winter hardy" it should be frost proof, so growing it outside or, better still, in an unheated greenhouse would be more successful than growing it indoors where it will be too warm for the season's light. Plants will get horribly drawn.

Come next spring, you could grow all kinds of things and certainly start off seedlings which will then go outside.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well, maybe late fo a lot of things but you can sprout seeds, lots of variety
and highly nutritious, peas sweet and crunchy, funugreek spicy, mustard hot, mung in chinese stir fries. Have fun.

http://www.sproutingseeds.co.uk/
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
valiant veggies
KG Regular

oooo I like the sound of sprouting things ......thanks everyone for your ideas, think I may have to dig some old pots out of my parents shed and see what happens over the winter months in a sheltered corner of the yard.
Valiant Veggies :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic